Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Grandma and Grandpa Rice

This Memorial Day we went to Wells Nevada to clean up the graves of my grandpa's family. My family does this every year, but I haven't gone in a while. Although it is never really fun, I think this year's Memorial Day will be one of the most memorable because of the things I learned I from my wonderful family.
We had a family reunion while we were there which was really awkward for me because I don't really know anyone and it's not really my family... These people are my step mom's cousins and aunts/uncles so I don't really know of them and most of them have never even met me. Anyways, while we were there visiting with people we have never met in our entire lives, Kayley and I looked through some genealogy books. We found the biographies for my step mom's parents. How sweet it was to read their loving testimonies of the gospel and family.
I guess I have been ignorant over the years to never really notice it, but as I was there I noticed the sincere love my grandpa has for my grandma. You see, my grandma has dementia. It has gotten worse over the years and we have watched her slowly digress. I must admit though, she has the best sense of humor now. She said the cutest things this weekend. We were eating dinner talking about the time zone changes and she asked "Now are we all in the same place?" haha. Yes, grandma. We are all in the same place right now. While it is sometimes funny, it is often sad and unsettling. They have now moved into an assisted living center. They still have freedom and live on their own, the help is there in case they need it which gives us comfort. She was talking to grandpa's half sister, Marlene, and invited her over for a weekend. Marlene said "I don't think they would let us stay." Grandma: "Who won't let you stay?!" Marlene: "The complex you live at." Grandma: "I don't live at a complex." Marlene: "We would have to sleep on the floor." Grandma: "No you don't, we have two bedrooms. Don't we grandpa, we have two bedrooms still right?" Right then grandpa reassured grandma that it was ok and then winked over at me. He is so sweet to her. His actions speak so loudly of the love he feels for her. This is just a small example, but I couldn't help but get choked up and a little teary eyed. Maybe it's because I'm missing Adam and we've been apart for so long that I'm really not emotionally stable right now, but I got so emotional by watching this loving scene between my grandparents.



I am so grateful to be married to Adam. He is such a loving man. I know that someday when I'm old and lose my mind, he will be right by my side assuring me it's ok.

Do any of you have grandparents who have taught you how to love through their example? I would love to hear some stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment