Monday, May 20, 2013

Our Hospital Stay


Right after delivery we had a while trying to breastfeed and bonding. When we were ready we told our parents that they could come in. They saw her and spent a little while looking at her and asking me how I was feeling, etc. It was just chaotic. I felt like my head was spinning after all of this. It didn’t help that I hadn’t eaten since 11:30 AM and it was now 4 AM. We were exhausted. They transferred us to the second floor were we stayed for two days. After taking us to our new room Adam went with Haleigh to the nursery to get a bath. The nurses helped me go to the bathroom, gave me meds, and put me in bed. It was about 5 AM when Haleigh and Adam came back. We all went to sleep…. for about an hour. Haleigh woke up at 6 to eat. I can’t remember the order of how this all happened, but the nurse helped me use my nipple shield and I was able to feed her! After eating she farted and you could hear the poop come out! Haha. So I changed her diaper and it was pretty full. By the time I got back to bed, I had to order breakfast so that I didn’t miss out, then the nurses came in to check mine and Haleigh’s blood pressure, etc. Then Dr. Young came to check on me and then Dr. Whiting came to check on Haleigh. So it was about 9 AM by the time I got to sleep… My Dad, Lauretta, and Maddison came to visit around 11 AM. So needless to say, I didn’t sleep at all. Being so sleep deprived did not help with my baby blues. The doctors kept saying that when you get home the baby blues will set in. This was confusing to me because I felt them instantly. I just spend 13 hours of labor, of which 1.5 hours was pushing with no pain meds and didn’t really feel the reward. Here I have this beautiful baby but I didn't really feel like she was mine. When was this instant bond supposed to occur? Why hadn't I felt it yet? Am and I bad mother because I don’t feel connected to her?



The next day at the hospital we had family visit and mostly slept. We ended up having her stay in the nursery that night so that we could sleep. They brought her back to eat a few times but other than that it was nice to finally sleep. Haleigh makes a lot of noises when she sleeps and will all of a sudden start scream-crying but it will only be for a second, like a hiccup, and then stop. She’s dead asleep but she’s crying. I really did not want her to go to the nursery because I learned in my breastfeeding class that babies that room-in breastfeed better. However, I felt really proud of myself because we were breastfeeding really well with the shield on and she was going through diapers like crazy – seriously at least 8 diapers FULL, never just wet, a day. So it was worth it to me to get some sleep and send her to the nursery.

One day I had the nurse take Haleigh to the nursery to get some tests done and I sent her baby book with them to get hand and foot prints. The nurse said that it would be quick. Well, an hour went by and Haleigh was still gone. So I pushed my call button. The nurse said that she would find out what was taking so long and get right back to me. Another 30 minutes went by and I hadn't heard anything and she was still gone. I pushed the call button again. This time the nurse on call came to my room. She apologized and told me that Haleigh had to wait to get her finger prints done because there was a sick baby needing attention. I told her that was fine but they should have notified me or brought Haleigh back until they had time to focus on her prints. I didn’t like having my baby missing for an hour and a half… The next day life flight came and took that sick baby to primary children’s hospital. L I couldn't imagine that being my baby. I hope the baby and his/her parents are ok now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment